Saturday, February 9, 2013

Un Mundo Muy Diferente


9.2.13
            Otra vez, what a day. We spent the majority of the day walking about, discovering the wonders of Antigua. It is truly an incredible city. With the volcanoes as our primary landmarks, we made our way about, trying to figure out those directions.


            We started in el Parque Central. True to its name, it’s the centermost part of the city. I think it would be accurate to say, based upon my incredible experience of a week of visiting, that it’s the heartbeat of the city. Filled with vendors, shops, hippies, tourists with high socks, children, students, visitors from all over the world, surrounded by shops and cafes, bordered by a beautiful church, with gardens and birds and the mountains for a backdrop – there is a place for everyone. The vibrancy is incredible and inspiring. Y los niños – que chullos!


            Our group was a little directionally challenged – obviously assisted by my famously impeccable sense of direction (my father is laughing out loud right now reading this I am sure) – but eventually we made our way to El Merced. The Merced is a beautiful church off of the park square, also filled with people. The beautiful purple trees (my favorite) poured their shade over the couple getting married. It was picture perfect!


            After much wandering and circling and general confusion, we found Centro Linguistico Maya – our school for the next couple of months. We visited, solely for the purpose of pictures, the most incredible McDonald’s I have ever seen. It was beautiful! Such a strange phenomenon. Afterwards, we made our way to lunch, stopping at “Bagel Barn” – I know, I know – and returning to the Central Park for a brief sit. After a discussion at the SI office (the Student International program is that which is hosting our stay here), we had tiempo libre.

El Arco - Tan Bonita, no?

Jordyn, Ronald, and I - You should see the fountain and chandeliers! 

Hermano Pedro - the place of my internship this last week

            My group used our time well to purchase coffee and spend a little more time in the park, watching and talking and questioning different things. Afterwards we walked to the market and tried our hand at bargaining – something that’s going to be extremely different for me, the person who doesn’t even like to ask for a different shoe size. I did not bargain, simply asked for prices and stood in awe of the numerous people and things available for purchase. Finally, we ended our walk at Luna de Miel and finished our time in Antigua with a variety of crêpes for dinner.
            It was a lot of walking, but I barely noticed between my enraptured glimpses of the city. Antigua is definitely going to be an extremely different living experience than Magdelena. Whereas in Magdelena it is bizarre to see any other gringos, Antigua is a city that caters to tourists – from all parts of the world. Antigua is rich and filled with “cobblestone” streets and nice cars. The majority of people who work there, the indigenous from the surrounding mountains, bus in to make their living off the people the city attracts. In Magdelena, it is rude not to greet the people you approach in the dirt streets and everybody knows everybody’s business; this is not so in Antigua. The new and modern stores of Antigua stand out against the small tiendas and panerias of Magdelena. It’s going to be a whole different world and I am sad to leave my family here, but excited to experience a whole new living. We move in tomorrow to meet our new families – I can’t wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment