Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Rising of the Sun


 It does not relate, exactly, to Guatemala, but I felt it was worth sharing. More posts about this wonderful place to follow. 

The Rising of the Sun
            I made my way out of our room out on to the deck, preparing myself to be still – always difficult for me. I sat on the wicker couch, covered in a weatherworn sheet, feeling the chill seep in. It was before the sun was in the sky, hidden behind the distant mountains. Pulling my sweatshirt around my stiff fingers, I could see my breath cloud around me. My flannel pajama pants soaked in the morning chill from the pillows that had been seeping in it all night long.
            I sat, trying to quiet my thoughts, admiring the few streams of light mingling with the clouds crowning the mountains, like streaks of blonde in the sky. That’s when I realized – I was going to witness the sunrise.
With a twitter matching the morning song of the birds, my heart fluttered. I love the sun. I watched in anticipation, craning my neck to see beyond the mountains. I was sure that with my limited schedule, I wouldn’t have time to see the full work.
But the rising was swift. In a few, short minutes, the sun pushed over the mountains. Once again, it reigned in the sky. I was shocked. Then I was shocked at my own surprise. Even with the repetition – the constancy of the sun – I hadn’t noticed the signs of the it’s arrival. I still didn’t understand the workings of the sunrise. Eventually, I was forced to avert my eyes – the splendor overwhelming my vision.
Having risen, I stood there with my feet flat on the cold cement balcony. My eyes closed and face upturned, I was amazed by the differences I’d experiences in only a couple of minutes. My body turned toward the warmth; I let it pour into me. My limbs that were once solid in the cold were almost instantly warmed. The radiating light washed over me, simultaneously energizing and calming me. My cheeks glowed in the heat resting on my face. Unable to look directly at the sun, I didn’t need to. I did not need my eyes to know where it was – to feel its presence, its place.
It was at this angle, with my hands limply at my side, that the sun wiped away my shadows. And it was here, in this position of helplessness – blind in the brilliance – I felt pure and enveloped. Assured. It was there – here – that I can rest and be still, feeling the warmth of grace in the midst of the morning chill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment