Friday, May 3, 2013

How the Time Flies (2)


30.04.13


Centro Linguistico Mayo - my school of eight weeks

Flat Samuel and I hard at work in class! 

The walk home from school, past Parque Central, take a left past Monoloco.

Pues, aquí estamos – parte dos. So for the last four weeks since my previous set of blog-posts about our trip to Sumpango over Holy Week, I have been in school. So that you have a clear depiction of my daily life (hopefully that is at least of some interest to you if you’re reading this) over the last month before moving to Magdalena: First, I would rise each day and get ready for breakfast by 7:00 with my other housemates. Then we’d walk to school by 8:00. Here we would reunite with the other Bethel students and pray over the day. From there we would separate and each find our teachers. Each student had their own professor and met in the same place each day. This time my teacher, Ana María, and I had our own room on the second floor. From 8:15ish until around 10:00 we’d work through the schedule outlined for us – this session I was studying the history of Latin America. Somewhere in those two hours we made our way below to grab a coffee – hard work requires sustenance, right? Then again at 10:00 coffee was available, this time with sweetbread and a half-hour break. Usually during this time the other students and I sat on the roof, talking and taking in the view and the sounds of the school next door. Que rico, no?

The view from one side of the terraza. We usually sat in those benches while drinking our coffee and eating our sweetbread. 

The roof. Some students had classes on this level. 

            After the break we all returned to our studies until 12:00. We then each walked home to have lunch with our host-families at 1:00. This was always my favorite meal of the day, as it was the biggest and usually the most “typical.” Lunch also almost always included tortillas and guacamole, so that fueled my appreciation as well. After lunch, my roommate and one or two other friends and I usually went to a café for more reliable internet and a comfortable space where we could do homework. As Antigua is a very tourist-centered city, we had a plethora of options. One of our favorites was a café in which the rooftop seating overlooked the central park. It is always amazing to see the mix of people who meander through and how they interact with one another.

On the walk to school. Me encantan las flores aquí.

Simply a view from the backside of the school, La Merced across town.

            This last Friday, it was definitely difficult to say goodbye to the school. El ambiente era algo tan especial. Being in a setting where everyone is there to foster learning, encouragement, and thoughtful thinking is such a special experience. Over the last eight weeks we’ve spent there, I’ve grown close to my teachers, our little group of students and their professors with whom I’ve shared activities, and other staff involved at the school. I think everyone could probably attest to my share of tears that were shed. I was extremely blessed to share the time I did in such a supportive environment. I know I am lucky to have access to have the education I do, but this time really showed me the power of relationships and learning, especially combined. I will carry those memories in my heart forever.  

My teacher from the first session of classes, the lively Rosa María. 

The group of professors and students with whom I sometimes worked. We watched movies together, discussed, and had quite a bit of fun. 
. . . and the delicious chocolate cake we finished together the last day of classes . . . que rico! 


My professor from the second session, the wonderful and confident Ana María.

No comments:

Post a Comment